Do you have yellow or discolored teeth, and if so did you find the reason behind this phenomenon that can effect our confidence and self esteem? It might be time to consider using turmeric to whiten teeth!
Tooth discoloration occurs for several reasons.
Advancement in age, tobacco use, poor dental hygiene, genetics, and poor dietary habits can all lead to gradual yellowing of the teeth.
Brushing and flossing are essential as part of your daily oral hygiene procedure but, by and large, they don’t make your teeth whiter!
Several natural products can help to get rid of the yellow color on your tooth enamel.
Turmeric is one of these.
Turmeric is less well known than activated charcoal and baking soda when it comes to teeth whitening benefits but trust us, it’s no less effective.
Turmeric is effective in cleaning all superficial debris on your teeth and it possesses anti-inflammatory problems that can also boost your gum health.
This article explores how to use turmeric to whiten teeth.
Turmeric to Whiten Teeth
Like all other recommended natural teeth whitening ingredients turmeric also removes superficial debris and stains on teeth.
Turmeric is a powerful astringent that reduces the plaque breakdown action on teeth.
The most common use of turmeric is as an ingredient for food recipes – particularly in Indian cuisine. It also helps to heal wounds and has been used for centuries in Ayurvedic medicine for its amazing healing properties.
In addition to this, turmeric works amazingly well for whitening teeth.
Turmeric contains a component called Curcumin which has anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and antibiotic properties.
Hence, Turmeric is a good natural ingredient for dental pains and dental ailments like gingivitis.
Also, it can cleanse bacteria and germs that cause cavities and plaque on your teeth.
Does Turmeric Whiten Teeth?
The most common question for everyone is “Does turmeric stain teeth?”.
All of us know that turmeric makes stains on clothes and kitchen bench tops! So, many people believe that the ingredient which makes these type of bright yellow stains will definitely make stains on their teeth.
But no one has proved whether it is true or false.
In fact many people think that the astringent properties of turmeric will avoid the formation of plaque on teeth.
As people age tooth decay seems inevitable and will eventually lead to tooth loss.
To avoid these problems, use turmeric to whiten teeth and also for gum treatment.
Turmeric for Teeth Whitening
Turmeric paste is a great method for whitening teeth. Check out the step-by-step process for how to use turmeric for whitening teeth below.
- Mix 1 tbsp of turmeric powder with water or mustard oil.
- Blend this mixture to form like paste.
- Use this mixture as toothpaste.
- Dip your brush into this consistency and take a brush for 2 minutes.
- Rinse your mouth with water to throw out all yellow powder.
- After this, take a brush with your general toothpaste.
- Practice this trick to obtain instant and best results.
Turmeric and Coconut Oil for Whitening Teeth
As we already saw, turmeric is effective for whitening teeth when used alone. When mixed with other natural teeth whitening ingredients like coconut oil, you will get more benefits and quicker results.
Of course, coconut oil doesn’t whiten your teeth, but it prevents the occurrence of yellow staining by killing germs and bacteria.
The lauric acid present in coconut oil avoids plaque formation which is the main cause of yellow color.
Hence, use coconut oil and turmeric together to whiten teeth. Besides whitening teeth this combination also promotes gum health and makes your breath fresh!
2 teaspoons of Coconut Oil.
4 teaspoons of organic Turmeric Powder.
2 tablespoons of Baking Soda.
Directions to use:
- Put organic turmeric powder in a bowl.
- Add the specified quantities of baking soda and coconut oil.
- Stir these quantities very well until you obtain a paste like consistency.
- Apply a generous portion of this natural turmeric toothpaste on your brush.
- The brush your teeth as do normally.
- After brushing teeth with turmeric, rinse your mouth with water 3 or 4 times.
- Make sure no turmeric residue is left on your teeth.
- Repeat this process until you get whiter teeth!
Besides whitening toothpaste, turmeric mouthwash is also a great homemade remedy for teeth whitening and for treating gum infections like Gingivitis and any other gum problems.
Gingivitis is a disease caused due to inflammation of gums. When it’s left untreated it can lead to several complications.
Hence, use turmeric to whiten teeth and to cure this disease. Turmeric mouthwash is an effective remedy for whitening teeth and the treatment of Gingivitis.
Rinse your mouth with this 0.1% turmeric mouthwash. Since turmeric has antimicrobial properties, it removes all plaques very fast when compared with other natural products.
Side effects of using Turmeric for teeth whitening
Turmeric has many benefits, in some cases, it has potential side effects.
So, be careful and consult a dentist before using turmeric for teeth whitening.
Keep in mind the below tips while using turmeric to whiten teeth.
- When people with diabetes use turmeric, blood sugar will decrease. Hence, be careful while using turmeric teeth whitener.
- In the case of men, fertility rate may decrease due to lowering of testosterone level.
- As we know that turmeric slows down blood clotting, so don’t use this remedy before surgery because it can cause bleeding.
- People with gall bladder problem are not advised to use it.
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women should consult a dentist before using turmeric for teeth whitening.
In addition to using these turmeric to whiten teeth techniques you must follow some daily habits to prevent further appearance of yellow teeth.
Avoid consumption of alcohol and don’t smoke.
Also, avoid the products that cause stains on your teeth. Try to rinse your mouth with mouthwash after eating and drinking.